Thursday, June 22, 2006

Clever by mistake

'Scuse the inordinant boasting, but somewhat to my amazement people like me. Last year they really didn't, which just adds to the surprise. Cor and golly.

Today's Dr Who Magazine includes the "Off the Shelf Awards" results, as voted for by its many discerning readers. "The Time Travellers" has won the "Other Doctor Who fiction" category (i.e. them books that don't have Eccles on the cover), with a rather smashing average of 8.06 out of 10. Which makes me feel better about snittier reviews like this one.

"History of Christmas" came fourth with an average 7.61, just below "Fear Itself" and "Gallifrey Chronicles" - the two books I expected to be trounced by. And "Lost Museum" came third in the "Other Big Finish audios" category, the one I'd come almost bottom in last time. I were beaten by the Cybermen, which was always an ambition.

Hearty congratulation to fellow winners Gareth, Joe, Nick, Johnny, Mike Collins (who I've only met once, when he advised me to add guns and robots) and "The War Games".

There's also a generally positive review of something else of mine which concludes, "Whether or not this is intentional, the Settling is a refreshingly intelligent, layered play."

Yes, I know that's taking the Mr Michael out of context, but it still made me laugh.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha!

Well done on the book result. And well done to The War Games too, may it's DVD goodness soon grace my flat.

Anonymous said...

Aaargh! No! "Its".

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the "Off the Shelf" award. I've been meaning to pick up "The Time Travellers"; I'm even more intrigued now. :)

Anonymous said...

Well, I ordered my copy from the local Borders Express, and it should arrive in the next week. I gave them the ISBN code, because it's just easier. Oddly enough, they couldn't find it. She looked it up a different way, and was able to find it. After all that effort, the novel better live up to the hype. ;-)

0tralala said...

Ha. Too late now.

But you don't have to read it. The important thing is that you've bought it.

Anonymous said...

Nice one Bruvva!

Anonymous said...

Hooray! We rock (in the modern sense of the word)!

Anonymous said...

>> Ha. Too late now.

>> But you don't have to read it.
>> The important thing is that
>> you've bought it.

Well, that relieves a lot of the pressure, doesn't it? :-P

Maybe I'll just frame it instead...

Anonymous said...

If you're interested, I have published a review of "The Time Travellers" on Associated Content. Here is the link:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/53985/doctor_who_the_time_travellers_simon.html