The books mentioned at the end are my biography David Whitaker in an Exciting Adventure with Television (2023), and my archive-investigating analyses of the Doctor Who stories The Evil of the Daleks and The Edge of Destruction for the Black Archive range.
It is my 50th birthday today, so you should buy at least one of these.
My new biography, Written by Terrance Dicks, will be out later in the year. I am busy writing it right now.


3 comments:
Thanks, fascinating talk. Was recently re-reading “No Highway” by Nevil Shute. The opening narration - our newly promoted bright young scientist filling us in on his job and home life - reminded me so much of the first pages of “DW in an EA with the Dks”. Those pages had always previously seemed a bit kitchen-sinky. I suppose both influences could pertain but Whitaker did later adapt some Shute for TV.
Until now I had always taken Whitaker’s literary model for DW as being Sir Walter Scott’s “The Antiquary”, but I suppose that is more the character of the Dr himself.
Me again. Now wondering whether there was any influence on the formulation of DW from Shute’s eccentric older scientist character with his intelligent but unworldly young daughter.
Hello! Oh, interesting. I've not read "No Highway" but will check it out. On whether it could have influenced early Doctor Who, it was done as a radio play in August 1963: https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/9d097557c7064ed2b5b49a85b5684fbf
Post a Comment